The Lykeion ton Ellinidon is the only women’s organisation that has created a network across Greece and in several cities abroad, and has maintained a close connection with its regional Annexes.
Its second statute, in 1914, mentions “correspondent sections”, and the next statute in 1930 organises in detail – both in special articles and in the Regulations for Regional Annexes – how Annexes are founded, how they operate, and their relationship with the Headquarters in Athens.
In the 1956 statute, relationships with the Headquarters are tightened further, while in the same year, the First Panhellenic Conference of Annexes is held in Athens, beginning a series of Conferences which continue to the present day.
The first Annexes were created between 1914 and 1917, a few years after the Lykeion was founded, and were the Annexes of Patra, Thessaloniki, Syros, Chania, and Rethymnon. The next periods in which a significant number of Annexes were founded were 1920-1922 with eight Annexes, and then the ten-year periods of 1945-1955, 1971-1980, and 1981-1990, with ten Annexes created in each.
Over time, some Annexes suspended their operations – sometimes temporarily and sometimes permanently.
Today, 55 Annexes operate in Greece.